Sunday 8 November 2009

Mouthwash..?! We don't need no stinkin' mouthwash!

Hey Team Fishin',

What you see below is by no means final. It is an initial head sculpt I created for the character of Felix but it is far from perfect. For one it has carpet hair all over it because I dropped it. Secondly, my sculpting ability is amateur at best, especially at such a teensy weensy scale as this, so any resemblance to the human head at this stage was more down to luck and random fist-bashing than my own skill. In my defense, this thing is tiny:


(Note the 10 penny piece for scale).

The size will not be exactly correct in relation to the armature bodies we plan to make I imagine, but the heads will not be much bigger than this, if bigger at all. As I say, this is not final. I just wanted to try my hand at something more physical than the animatic.

Sculpted out of Milliput. The eyes are plastic beads (I'll talk more about my idea for eyes later on). The eyebrows are scupted as part of the head for now, but will eventually be plastacine so they are fully animatable. And I think I've solved our mouth problem...

... we don't need mouths. (The following applies just for the six band members... I think Bill should definately have a mouth).

Feel free to debate this, but I had a play about with the head moving just the eyebrows and the eyes and, just like Gromit, the emotion comes through perfectly well without a mouth. This means we don't have the added complication of sculpting loads of different mouth shapes or having additional facial animation. Basically, it will save us a lot of time and simplify matters a great deal. Of course it also means we can't lip-sync, but we have talked about that already.

Thoughts? Comments?

-James

No comments:

Post a Comment